Our curriculum centres around three main priorities across our academy; a nurturing approach, acquisition of language and raising aspirations. We strongly believe we need to create an education for our children that goes way beyond the standard classroom practice. Our curriculum supports our pupils to become confident, aspirational children who have the knowledge and skills to become an expert in all areas of the primary curriculum. We want our pupils to be part of the regeneration of an old fishing town that is branching into new pastures. We do this through innovation, creativity and entrepreneurism. Macaulay sits only a stone’s throw from the Grimsby docks, a place that was once a thriving working town. We want to support the next generation in creating new jobs that require inspired learners with open minds. We believe our ethos and curriculum will enable children to make the difference, now and in the future.
Every child is recognised as a unique individual. We celebrate and welcome differences within our diverse academy. Community involvement is an integral part of our curriculum. We want children celebrating local history and the successes and achievements of local people. When our children leave the academy we want them to be prepared for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life in modern Britain.
The Macaulay curriculum has been built on the Academy and Trust vision and mission statement. Through our curriculum we aim to:
- Improve educational outcomes for all our children regardless of their starting point.
- Implement a curriculum that promotes and sustains a love of learning, builds resilience and allows for creative, critical thinkers.
- Create employable, lifelong learners through the development of skills that include responsibility, resilience, respect of, and for, learning.
We feel strongly that for all children to succeed in the curriculum, we want to build the children’s language and reading skills throughout the whole curriculum, supporting them to become well-read and well-spoken young people.
Our curriculum concentrates on three areas of development that we know our children need to succeed. These areas underpin the curriculum as a whole and envelope the ethos of the academy as a whole.
1: The first area focuses on our children having aspirations and the responsibilities that they have in the community. Pupils develop their ability to reflect critically on the range of skills they have used in their learning during their primary journey. We believe that these skills are fundamental in preparation for the challenges they will face as the next generation of adults.
Through our curriculum we will:
- Develop oracy skills so that the children are confident in presentation, debate and are able to speak in front of a wide range of audiences.
- Give children a deeper knowledge of the world outside of their local community and what possibilities are available to them in terms of education, experiences, and achievements.
- Provide opportunities for them to meet members of their local community who could inspire their next steps.
- Give children regular opportunities for them to consider how they can best present their work and findings.
- Using regular opportunities to apply basic skills in context so that they see the value and necessity of them in modern society.
2: Macaulay Academy prides its self on the caring, nurturing approach shown, both by staff and children alike. We hold the personal development of our children’s social, emotional and mental health wellbeing in the highest possible esteem. Our curriculum builds and encourages this thread throughout.
Through our curriculum we will:
- Give children opportunities in school to experience interactions with a diverse range of individuals and groups and deliver a curriculum rooted in respect and tolerance.
- Implement a PHSE curriculum that includes an increased focus on mental well-being and an understanding of abuse in its varied forms.
It is our underlying belief that every child should feel they are valued and experience the feeling of success in all curriculum areas. We have designed our curriculum to ensure every child receives an appropriate balance of academic and personal development. We recognise the importance of children’s physical and mental well-being. We ensure our curriculum provides the children opportunities to develop strategies to support their personal development. Our approach to SMSC is embedded in the Delta ethos of mutual respect, partnership working and collaboration. This is an approach that we believe is fundamental to a full and positive participation for life in modern Britain.
- 3: Underpinning all areas of the curriculum is the vital skill of language acquisition. The ability to read fluently with a good level of comprehension is pivotal. As many children join the academy with extremely low communication and language skills, the academy focuses on the skill of language from the moment they step into the school. This is even further developed by our bespoke Book-led curriculum that immerses children in reading in every subject of the curriculum. The Academy strongly believes in giving individual attention to the needs of the children in our care. It is our mission to offer every child a high quality education in a supportive, safe environment in which they feel valued and are inspired to become learners who are ‘Today’s learners, tomorrow’s leaders’.
Reflecting the challenging prior context of our Academy, the curriculum focuses on early reading from the very start of school. Our Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) makes a crucial contribution to children’s early development and learning. We provide children with a rich variety of teaching and learning experiences that are appropriate to their needs.
Our Key Stage 1 and 2 curriculum is underpinned by the National Curriculum, we enhance this with other opportunities and experiences that make up the wider school curriculum. Our book-led curriculum is viral to this. We ensure learning is always exciting and delivered in a meaningful context for children. We place a strong emphasis on the development of the basic skills and reading fluency. We endeavour to foster a love for learning while at the same time developing essential life skills. Our ‘Book-led curriculum’ approach is designed with progression, achievement and mastery at its core. Reading is similarly embedded at every phase. As children move through the academy, the skills they acquire are revisited, consolidated and built upon, in order for children to have the opportunity to remember key information. Our curriculum builds on a year by year development, creating a learning journey for every pupil so they can develop their knowledge, always preparing them for next step on the learning journey.
How do pupils progress and achieve within our curriculum
Our definition of progress is; the widening and deepening of essential knowledge and skills. We designed our curriculum to ensure that children are not merely covering content but deepening their knowledge. Our careful curriculum design and planning means that we build in many opportunities for repetition and practice for essential skills and knowledge. This ensures that children can revisit previous learning, which allows them to gradually develop a deeper understanding of the skills and processes within subjects, at their own pace and in the best possible way for each individual child.
Success for a child at Macaulay is simple; they will leave with the knowledge and skills needed to support their next steps of education. They will have the ability to use these skills by using refined language acquisition which is supported with high quality reading fluency. We firmly believe every child will be a success at Macaulay Primary Academy.